Pages

Thursday 15 July 2010

THE LEVI-SET AS A FOUR PIECE



 Thanks to Pete Howell, who pointed me to Wikipedia for this early band info - 


The Levi Set Blues Band were an English rock band formed in 1965 in Lichfield, Staffordshire. The lineup was Jeremy Spencer on Hammond organ, Dennis Tuckerman on electric and slide guitar, John Charles on bass and Ian Charles on drums. They existed for two years until the band disbanded when Spencer joined Fleetwood Mac. They had residencies at The Place in Stoke and The Metro in Birmingham. Heavily influenced by the blues music of Elmore James, they attracted a cult Mod following throughout their two years playing together

The four-piece band was before my time. I think the residency at the Metro (actually Le Metro) is overstated, as I'm pretty sure that the only time they played there, certainly as a three-piece, was when they played in the interval for John Mayalls Bluesbreakers. There is an interesting comment on the Hanley Place website, which I attach below....

Dennis Tuckerman
At The Place 1964-5, We (The Levi Set Blue's Band) had a residency at the Place for those 2 years. Founder Members were Jeremy Spencer (Hammond Organ), Dennis Tuckerman (Lead & Slide Guitar), Ian Charles (Bass) & John Charles (Drums). What a great 2 years that was.
We were all still at King Edward VI's Grammar School in Lichfield, 16/17 years old. We played mainly Elmore James with a few 'Keep on Running' etc. covers.
Some say Fleetwood Mac began with Peter Green, others say it started here. All 4 of us are still around, I'm in touch with Jeremy . I play once a year in our band called 'One Night Stand' if you want to recapture the music of that era and that Band, myself (Guitar & Vocals) along with Rob Aston (Guitar), Jack Tuckerman (Drums, Guitar,Vocals)& Andy Gray (Bass, Guitar).
If our old Manager from Shenstone is out there anywhere please get in touch!!! 


I guess the manager Dennis is referring to is Pete Riley (?) but any information about the four-piece Levis would be interesting. The old brain is faltering a bit now - this is all so long ago!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hey there, Ian Charles is my beloved Pa. Perhaps message me your details via facebook and I'll pass them on to him/Uncle John?!
    I'm on facebook as Anouska Knight
    Regards ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's Ian on drums, surely ? ? ?

    ReplyDelete